Who is Anthemis looking for?
This list is not exhaustive but should give you a good flavor of what we are looking for. Someone:
- who has a disruptive financial services business idea they would like to pursue during the fellowship
- who can clearly articulate their passion and vision for improving our financial system and industry - this can be big and broad or focused and narrow or anything in between as long as it is coherent and clear
- who make a strong case why their skills, character and previous experiences will help them achieve their goal
- who has a spirit of entrepreneurship and adventure, self-confidence but not hubris and who bring energy to those around them – always willing to learn and try new things
- who can effectively deal with ambiguity, instability and uncertainty
- with a track record of "getting things done"/achieving goals (in any context, not just business or education)
What is the process?
Selection process is comprised of several sequenced rounds, including: screening of applications; interviews with Anthemis founders; experiential assessments; and, finally, interviews with program mentors. You will be informed in advance about specific dates of the selection process beyond the March 18 – 31, 2017, timeframe.
What is the project?
Your disruptive financial services business idea does not have to be all figured out up front, but the kernel/starting point needs to be present. Note that this can take many forms - a research paper, a startup idea, a design project, some interesting code and/or algorithms, etc. We are open to consider any reasonable suggestion.
What is the deadline?
The deadline for applications is March 17, 2017. Barring any tech or administrative hang ups, we plan to close applications on that date at 11pm GMT.
When will you know if you have been accepted?
Depending on the number of applicants, we are aiming to select and announce the fellows in early April, 2017.
When will the Fellowship begin and end?
The Fellowship will begin in late April 2017 and end in October 2017. Should your project need more time, we will support you in finding a suitable solution.
Who owns the Intellectual Property of any idea/venture that is developed during the Fellowship?
Fellows own all IP that they generate during the Fellowship, and Anthemis will not automatically take equity in any idea or venture that is generated or developed during the Fellowship.
What about career opportunities after the fellowship?
At the end of the fellowship - if the fellow successfully takes advantage of the program - we are very confident that the experiences, contacts and knowledge you will have gained will give you a distinct advantage in:
- better understanding where you would like to take your career next, and
- as a function of this, a number of potential employment avenues with both startups and established financial services firms will be opened up
Helping to find and nurture great talent is a key reason Anthemis, our companies and mentors are interested in supporting the fellowship program.
What support will my startup get post-fellowship?
Anthemis Group is at the heart of the financial services entrepreneurial ecosystem.
We have close relationships with incubators and accelerators like Seedcamp, Techstars London, Level39 and with dozens of venture capital firms around the globe. We also directly seed finance / incubate companies and work alongside with them by placing Entrepreneurs-in-Residence. While it is impossible to articulate a general case since it largely depends on your specific venture, we think it is fair to say that with regards to starting a company in the financial services sector, the information, contacts and advice you will have access to coming out of the Anthemis Fellowship is perhaps without equal.
What is the outcome of the program
The venture brief is a tangible deliverable that presents the synthesized learnings over the course of the fellowship. The intent is to capture the key characteristics and principles that are critical to the success of the venture you have been developing. This can provide content for a pitch deck or be shared among founding team members as a knowledge transfer tool, among other uses.
Are there visa constraints?
If it is not possible for you to work or study in the UK, admittedly it will be hard for us to offer you a fellowship this year. That said, we will do our best to try to find solutions for the right person, if this is an issue.
What financial support will I receive during the fellowship?
Needs-based scholarships up to 10,000 GBP for 6 months are available to fellows who can demonstrate their entrepreneurial ambitions and high potential to drive their businesses forward. You will be invited to submit an optional scholarship application as part of the online fellowship application process.
Applications are due by March 17, 2017 at 11:00pm GMT.